Saturday, January 12, 2013

Canoe Tales

So there I was...looking through some old files when I came across a booklet put together by Kim of paragraphed memories written about me by friends for my 40th birthday.  One friend, Terry King, had told of our adventures in canoes before we moved to bigger boats.  When I married Kim she came with a dowry, a seventeen foot aluminum canoe.  Terry and I would go fishing on nearby lakes in it using a cement block as an anchor.  Our wives eventually joined us on canoe trips, called float trips in the Ozarks, going down streams and camping overnight on gravel bars at night.  On one of these trips I was having to change outside behind the dome tent because it was too small inside for my 6' 2" frame.  Kim told me to give her the clothes I was changing out of and she would hand me the new clothes.  Then she reneged on the deal and walked away leaving me naked behind the tent.  I could hear other canoers coming down the river and they would be getting an appalling view as they rounded the bend.  Terry and his wife were standing on the other side of the tent enjoying my predicament.  They especially liked it when I picked up the tent and using it as a shield chased Kim all over the gravel bar until she finally dropped my clothes.  
I should have asked for a larger dowry.

1 comment: