Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why Did The Trailer Cross The Road?

So there I was...sitting in my kitchen listening to all the banging on the roof as the workers tore off the old and put a new layer of shingles on my house yesterday.  It brought back memories of having the roof shingled at the first house Kim and I owned in Missouri.  It was our responsibility to take the old shingles full of nails to the dump.  Kim's dad had a heavy duty trailer made from the bed of an old pickup truck that we worked hard to fill with the very heavy material.  I called Kim from work the next day and said I would be late getting home so we would miss getting to the dump on time.  She said she could hook the trailer up herself and meet me there.  I remember asking if she was sure she could do this but she sounded quite confident.  What she did not notice was the trailer had a two inch receiver and there was a one and seven eighths ball on the hitch.  As she drove for the dump all was well until she hit the bump at the top of a hill.  There was a noise at the back of the vehicle and then she watched as the trailer passed by her on the passenger side as it sped down the hill.  Fortunately, it headed for a culvert and flipped throwing it's cargo all over someones back yard.  Many hours were spent combing the grass for nails and the trailer now had a shape that was a bit more aerodynamic.  
Lesson learned...check the details.
As for me...I'm just happy she's willing to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment