Thursday, February 27, 2014

Working to Live or Living to Work

So there I was...tearing all the flooring out of the living room this past week.  Our 1940's home had plank sub-flooring and a very narrow top nailed oak flooring that was tired looking and had outlived its ability to be restored.  Along with this, serious squeaking would accompany every step that was made anywhere in the room.  Being one to be bothered easily by such things and not being one to sit still for very long, a plan was hatched to rip the entire floor out, down to the joists, effectively giving us a full view of the basement from the living room.  Now replaced with new glued and screwed sub-flooring panels, I await the carpet installers to finish the job and the chiropractor to put my back together again.  Kim has been asking (hinting) when I'd be ready to go live on the boat again and my son, while talking to my wife this past weekend, wondered if she should keep a tranquilizer gun around for the next time I think demolition sounds like a good idea.  I have been known to have difficulty slowing down and resting.  Projects and work always seem to be percolating in my head.  What should be there is, "who am I going to go meet for coffee" or "where should I go fishing today?"  Retirement should be more than having more time to do jobs around the house.  A card I received from some of my coworkers when I retired said that my week would now consist of six Saturdays and a Sunday.  My efforts need to start reflecting that.  May the projects become smaller and the fish stories become bigger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment