Sunday, September 20, 2015

Amazing Grace

So there I was...hearing the hymn Amazing Grace wafting over the water on a very foggy day in Gloucester.  I stepped out into the cockpit of Eventide to search for the source of this haunting sound.  There, on the end of a dock, stood a lone bagpiper in full regalia playing this tune of hope, yet a sense of sadness permeated the air.  A boat with several well dressed people aboard appeared out of the mist and headed for the Scottish figure.  As it floated several yards off the end of the dock, I could see through my binoculars the people crying as they consoled one another.  Suddenly, the vessel turned toward the open sea, slowly making its way out of the harbor on its way to spread the loved ones ashes on the outgoing tide.  As I watched, it disappeared into the mist from which it came.  And the piper played on.

No comments:

Post a Comment