Friday, October 26, 2012

We Have History

So there I was...sitting with Kim in my new living room, in my new house, in my new town, in my new state trying to think what new things I can tell you in this blog.  Living on the water allows so much material for this endeavor as change and motion are a constant but what can I tell you now?  As we talked,  I realized that one of the things I treasure most in our 30 year marriage is our history together.  It has never been boring and we tend to fall into adventure on a regular basis.  Let me tell you about one such time.  So there we were...driving through the hills of Southern Missouri in my Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, the best offroad truck ever built.  We hear a call for help and see a young man in real trouble standing at the back of his car.  Seems he was trying to jack up the car to change a tire on an incline and when the car started moving he grabbed the jack trying to stop the motion getting his hand pinned between the jack and trunk lid of the car.  For those younger among us, the jacks we used to have in cars in those days were called bumper jacks and were a slotted 4 ft metal bar that would attach to a cutout in the bumper and a rachet system would raise the car.  It was this metal bar that was now crushing this young man's hand and was holding him there.  We waved other drivers down and several of us, including my 6 month pregnant wife, tried to push the car uphill to release the hand.  In the proccess Kim slipped and bloodied her knee on the gravel.  It wasn't working so I got the front of the Landcruiser against the front of the car and pushed slowly until the hand came free and the boy collapsed on the ground.  The other guys there got him into the front seat of my truck and off to the nearest hospital I sped.  The Landcruiser had bucket seats so the boy and Kim were sitting in the same seat.  Kim was trying to care for him but she does not do well with blood and his hand did not look good.  As I drove down the road the two of them were taking turns passing out.  First the boy passed out then came to.  Then Kim passed out.  Back and forth this went while I'm trying to stay on the road.  When we got to hospital nurses came running out to meet us.  They open the passenger door and see both of my passengers bloodied and passing out.  A nurse looks at me and says, "Which one is it?"  
We never saw the boy again and Kim recovered just fine.  This is our history.  Never a dull moment.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are too cool!Anywho.....I'm really happy to know that you are safe and back home with Kim.My love to you both...always ....ME!

    ReplyDelete