Friday, November 16, 2012

Do Angels Draw?

So there I was...driving along the shores of Lake Ontario coming back from the boatyard where my boat is wintering on dry land.  As always, I was in awe of the vastness and power of that large a body of water.  It helped to put things in perspective as it had not been a good couple of weeks for me.  First my boat had been broken into and alot of my tools had been stolen, many of them passed down to me from my father.  Then with much effort and in the cold Kim and I had set up the frame and covered the boat with a new winter tarp only to have it part at the seams and rip itself off the boat with the strong winds.  My best efforts were being rewarded with less than ideal results.  
There was a time some 35 years ago that life was really beating me up.  Sometimes after work I would drive an hour and a half to get to the Rhode Island shore and sit on a break wall listening to the crashing waves.  Here I tried to figure out what I really wanted in life and why things were not going as planned.  One of those evenings, after sitting there for about an hour, a girl walked out to where I was on the rocks and handed me a sketch she had done of me from where she was sitting on the shore.  After I thanked her she smiled and just walked away.  As I looked at the sketch I notice how small I was in relation to how big the ocean was drawn.  That is when I started putting things in perspective.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  There are greater things in life to think on.  There is a much larger purpose for living than my day to day successes and failures.  There is a God and He has plans for me.
To this day, I find myself wanting to be around large bodies of water.  It keeps me grounded.  It keeps me from thinking too much of myself.  It helps me to see things as they really are.

2 comments:

  1. This is a good one, Swigs. Yes, I think angels draw or sing or just walk by our sides - whatever it is we need at that time. Just one thing I'd like to point out - 35 years ago was "BK" (before Kim). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Swigs!just want to second Kim on her comment.She is so totally right, That's why God brought her to you..."smile" I miss you...As Dori would sing (Finding Nemo)...Just keep swimming....

    ReplyDelete