Thursday, April 25, 2013

Civilized

So there I was...walking the streets of Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard several years ago with Kim and her cousin Melinda who had come a long way to spend a few days with us in paradise.  We were waiting for a particular establishment to open so we decided to hike up to West Chop Lighthouse to fill the time.  Having never visited this lighthouse, one of five found on the island, I didn't realise what a long uphill hike it would be and doing it in sandals just made it worse.  By the time we got there we were hot and exhausted but it was worth it as I have never visited a lighthouse I didn't like.  It was what we came to just beyond the lighthouse that has stuck with me all these years.  There were two little girls, about ten years old, that had a little lemonade stand set up in the perfect spot to serve those who had hiked to the lighthouse on this hot summer day with a beautiful view of Vineyard Sound behind them.  They both looked like they just stepped out of a Sears catalog with the perfect looks and dressed to perfection.  They were polite and well spoken to a fault but what came next was the coup de grĂ¢ce.  When I asked for a lemonade one of the girls goes into a cooler next to her and pulls out a lemon.  She cuts it in half and as I watch in amazement she fresh squeezes it and combines the juice with the ice, sugar and water the second girl had prepared.  I am presented with this most elegant concoction with the sweetest of smiles and it was the very best glass of lemonade I have ever tasted.  Sometimes all of the pieces come together to produce the perfect experience.  How civilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment