Thursday, April 11, 2013

Still Crazy After All These Years

So there I was...standing in the middle of the woods with a tuxedo hanging from a tree branch and a fidgety horse by my side as my brother looked on in disbelief.  It was 31 years ago, yesterday, that I donned a white tux and after carefully crossing a stream, riding an all black horse, galloped up the long hill to become one with my bride.  We had met on a blind date six months earlier and now she was coming from the other direction with her father in a horse drawn surrey.  The mothers, bridesmaids and flower girl were already waiting at the outdoor pavilion dressed in period costume after arriving in a wagon pulled by two mules.  As Kim and her father got closer it was a race for me to arrive first.  Dismounting quickly, I handed the reins to one of my groomsman and took my place next to my brother, the best man.  All was going well and the guests were enjoying the show when Kim and her dad exited the surrey and started walking down the aisle.  What someone forgot to tell me was my father-in-law-to-be would be carrying a very large shotgun at his side while he approached.  My brother said something like, "We have to run, we have to run now."  I never found out if the gun was loaded or not but I didn't run and never will.  Our wedding night was spent at a remote hunting cabin in a little town called Romance, MO.  Isn't that just sick?  It started crazy and still is.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment