Wednesday, July 10, 2013

St. Lawrence Seaway

So there I was...coming into the St. Lawrence River after a 2 hour ride north from Sacket's Harbor where I had spent five days.  Sacket's Harbor was the center of American naval and military activity for the upper St. Lawrence Valley and Lake Ontario during the War of 1812.  It was also a major ship building port during this time and Lieutenant Ulysses S. Grant was stationed there in 1848, 49  and 51.   So there was a lot of history and battlefield sites to explore.  Kim joined me there for the Fourth of July weekend and we checked out the incredibly quaint village with it's abundance of flowers, eateries and old architecture.  But alas, I was raising anchor and heading into the St. Lawrence Seaway with Canada to my left and the U.S. to my right.  Anchoring behind a sea wall in the little town of Cape Vincent was my intention and it has turned out to be an excellent decision.  It is very boat friendly and as I look across the river into Canada there is a wind farm with 86 wind turbines each over 240 feet tall on Wolfe Island.  What an amazing site.  Again, it would be easy to stay but it's been three days so I'm off to the next harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment