Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Tern of Events

So there I was...coming out of the main cabin of the boat into the cockpit early one morning last week to get into the dingy and make my way to shore for a cup of coffee.  What I soon realized is there had been yet another hatching of a different bug on the previous evening so now I had hundreds and hundreds of these small white moths all over the boat.  What is it about the Thousand Islands and bugs?  Lots of bugs.  As soon as I moved across the cockpit heading for the dingy they all went air-bound flying in my face and landing all over me.  This attracted the birds, I think they were Terns, that started diving with incredible acrobatic skill to catch the moths in flight.  Problem was they were diving at me and the moths fluttering all over me coming inches from my head.  I was swinging my arms trying to get the moths off me and with head down sheilding my eyes from some tern that may have failed flight school, I stumbled with a tremendous lack of grace into the dingy.  I'm sure the locals enjoy watching these little shows.  Even there, the onslaugt didn't end while I got the motor going finally clearing the war zone and knocking the remaining hitch hikers off me.  A few days later the moths were mostly gone and the run for the dingy became unnecessary.  Until the next hatching.

2 comments: