Friday, August 2, 2013

The Daggett House Mug

So there I was...sitting in this beautiful harbor amongst the Thousand Islands this morning having my coffee as I listened to the call of the loons drift over the still glassy water.  Today I'd chosen the coffee mug that had "The Daggett House" scribed across it with a picture of what the house looked like on the back.  Fond memories came to the forefront of my mind of the day I bought this mug from the establishment that is no longer a bed & breakfast/restaurant  but now a private residence.  Several of my closest friends were anchored on their boats near Kim and I in Edgartown Harbor on Martha's Vineyard a few years ago.  We all dingied in to have breakfast at The Daggett House one morning having heard so many good things about it.  Though there was a wait to be seated they provided coffee out on the veranda and beautiful gardens to stroll through making the wait almost not seem long enough.  When we eventually sat at our assigned seating and ordered our food the playful banter and back and forth good humor was all that you could hope for from friendships that had been forged years ago.  Once the food arrived the conversation continued until all at once everyone got very quiet and started staring at Kim.  Tears were flowing down her cheeks and of course they all looked to blame me.  What had really happened is that Kim and I had gone on this diet months before where carbohydrates were strictly prohibited and this was the first time we were allowed to break that rule.  As Kim bit into the incredibly tender biscuit smothered with melted butter and jam her tear ducts took over and you would have thought she'd lost a loved one.  The group, after being stunned, went crazy over what they were watching and for the first time I think they realized how deeply Kim feels about things.  Even biscuits.  She was trying to have a private moment but they would have none of it.  This particular display of emotion is mentioned to this day by our friends and warms my heart while producing a chuckle every time I take my coffee in The Daggett House mug.   

No comments:

Post a Comment