Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blessed

So there I was...coming up to the free docks in Waterford, NY after exiting the Champlain Canal and its 11 locks.  I was looking forward to spending my allotted 48 hours here where activity and stories abound as cruisers stop to reprovision at the confluence of the Champlain Canal, Erie Canal and Hudson River.  What I failed to remember from the last time I was through here was that this particular weekend was the Tugboat Roundup.  Though said to be an exciting time where tugboats from multiple states converge on this little town, they also completely take over the 1000 feet of floating docks and 600 feet of cement pier.  This left yours truly with no place to stay for the night.  After begging a spot to tie up long enough to get some groceries I went up to talk to Chris the Lockmaster at the first of the Erie Canal Locks.  He said, "We're gonna take care of you.  You get your boat and we'll lift you up through the lock and you can tie against the side wall up here by wrapping your lines around the trees on shore.  There's even electricity nearby so we'll hook you up to power and if you need to get to the Walmart 6 miles away here are the keys to my truck."  Talk about falling into cotton candy.  As I took his keys I told him driving his truck should be interesting since I hadn't driven in 3 months getting the reaction I hoped for.  The Tugboat Roundup was a blast and I got on so many boats.  Early Saturday morning I was having my coffee next to my boat when a guy approached me and asked if I could help him move his 85 foot 100 year old Norwegian cargo ship up through Lock 3 on the Erie Canal.  Of course I said yes.  I toured the inside of this behemoth admiring the beautifully redone spacious interior.  Controlling something that big through the lock was quite exciting.   Saturday night there was a big fireworks display and Chris's wife was engineer on the tug designated as the committee boat so he told me to come along with him to get front row seats to the event.  One of the best fireworks displays I've ever witnessed.  I was treated so well thanks to these wonderful people.  On Sunday afternoon I untied Eventide and went back down the lock leaving Waterford and my new friends.  After going through yet another lock almost immediately on the upper Hudson I traveled a couple hours south to a marina where the previous owner of Eventide wanted to buy me a seafood dinner at this very nice restaurant.  Three days later I was rounding Manhattan on 9/11.  As I entered the East River I looked up at the newly built Freedom Tower from the bridge of my boat and then over at the Statue of Liberty.  Indeed, we are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment