Thursday, September 26, 2013

New Friends, Old Friends And The Weather

So there I was...anchored at this sweet little harbor in Mattituck on the north shore of Long Island.  I was curious about the make of a small trawler anchored not too far from me so I went over to inquire about it from the owners.  Little did I know that Bob and Liz would invite me aboard their Cape Dory trawler for drinks and dinner and watermelon and great animated conversation for several hours.  What nice people they were and it sure beat the ramen noodles I had planned for dinner that evening.  The next day, on the way to shore, some friends that I met in Mattituck the previous year called me over and we caught up over drinks in the cockpit of Eventide later that evening.  Funny how I can go for days and never talk to a soul while living on the water and all of a sudden the social calendar fills right up.  I found all these people far more interesting to talk to than talking to myself.  
Pulled anchor the next day and headed across Long Island Sound for the Connecticut shore, specifically North Cove in the Connecticut River.  "The marine forecast got it wrong" would be an understatement.  The waves that hit me as I entered the sound wreaked havoc on the interior of my boat where things were thrown everywhere.  For about an hour and a half it did its worst until I got closer to the Connecticut shore and in the lee of the land being that the wind was coming from the northwest.  Another hour and a half and I was in North Cove where I tied to a free three day mooring in quiet waters where I attempted to rinse off some of the salt that covered every inch of the exterior of Eventide from that little adventure.  A dingy dock that gave me access to the wonderful town of Old Saybrook with it's many coffee shops and store fronts to explore improved my outlook.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment