Thursday, October 10, 2013

Best Part Of The Trip

So there I was...touching base with several of my friends and family back in Connecticut and Massachusetts making for a very busy few days before I returned to New York.  The one thing that almost everyone asked was what my favorite part of the trip was.  There were so many amazing places and events I got to experience that it was very hard to zero in on one.  Since I've been off the water I've given this more consideration and I think I've come up with an answer.  My favorite thing was waking up in the morning to the easy lapping of waves against the hull of the boat and looking out the windows to calm waters often as the sun was rising in the east.  Making a pot of coffee I would sit and read the Bible for a bit and put myself in God's hands for the day.  Then I would decide what I would like to do that day.  Sometimes I would read for hours.  Sometimes I would dingy into shore and hike to some destination.  Sometimes I would swim multiple times during the day.  Sometimes I would decide it was time to raise anchor and get under way to the next port.  The point is, after so many years of rigid schedules and obligations that I did my best to comply with, I was able to create my own schedule without having to satisfy anyone else's agenda.  There are times when a person can get away with that for a day or two but this summer offered me many weeks of this lifestyle.  I had never ever felt the freedom that was afforded me during this trip.  It had the effect of catching ones breath and hopefully has helped me to see life with more clarity.  Places and events make for great memories and stories but the things that effect your heart and soul are the best part of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment