Thursday, November 14, 2013

Neighbors And Family

So there I was...walking through the backyard the other day working on one of the endless projects I had invented (Kim's words) when one of my neighbors called to me from her backyard.  As we stood talking at the fence another of my property-line neighbors joined us and our conversation about a variety of subjects went on for quite awhile.  Kim and I have had similar encounters with our other neighbors on each side of us. Neighbors down the street will often stop while driving by and chat if they see us out front.  In all the places I've lived the communal hospitality has never equaled what I've found here in Irondequoit.  As I was contemplating our good fortune in where we landed real-estate-wise it led me to think about my genetic neighbors, i.e. family.  Like most families, life has fed us many wonderful times and our fair share of trials and heartache.  We all have to walk that road but how we choose to react to those around us is what makes all the difference.  I have watched siblings tear their histories to shreds over trivial or monetary considerations loosing years of precious memories in the process.  One sided agendas ruling the day instead of humility and wanting the best for those we should love the most.  It is sad and it is commonplace.  I feel blessed to have a family and extended family that loves and cares for each other not just in word but in action.  Through some very difficult times we have stayed close and leaned on each other heavily with an attitude of giving more than we get.  During this Thanksgiving holiday, when we spend time with family more than usual, I hope we can fully appreciate each member and the unique characteristics God has given them.  Neighbors, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment