Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Floating...finally!

So there I was...watching Eventide being lowered into the waters of the Connecticut River after more than a year and a half sitting on dry ground while I removed the entire upper helm station, cut off the top fiberglass, dug out all the saturated balsa coring, put new layers of fiberglass, balsa coring, more fiberglass, even more fiberglass, two part fairing compound, two part primer and deck paint.  Then the upper helm station was painted with the most expensive two part paint I hope I will ever have to buy and after being craned back onto the top of the boat was fastened with some 50 screws and bolts that went into epoxy that I had poured into oversized holes that I had drilled in the newly fiberglassed floor.  If this written description feels long and drawn out, you should have been there for the real thing.  I have never sweat, itched, ached, or felt so tired in all my life.  Now she (Eventide) was dipping into the element she was made for and alot like childbirth, so I'm told, the horrors of getting her to this point were a fleeting memory.  NOT.  I'm still tired!  I still ache!  I did stop itching...and I'm out here floating again where the stories are made and found.

No comments:

Post a Comment