Saturday, August 29, 2015

Going Through Life In A Fog

So there I was...coming out of Gloucester at 6 a.m. and entering into the Annisquam River, once I woke up the bridge tender with a couple blasts of my horn so he would raise the small drawbridge.  This beautiful 4.5 mile river allows the mariner to cut through Cape Ann on the Massachusetts coastline saving many miles of travel if you had to go around.  Halfway through, the mild fog became heavy to where a couple hundred feet was all I could see ahead of me.  Making it to the end of the river I pulled to one side of the channel, dropped an anchor and decided to wait this out with another cup of coffee.  In about a half hour I could see a couple hundred yards ahead so I set a course for the Isle of Shoals, a group of islands about 6 miles off the coast of Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME.  On the way I had several sightings of Pilot Whales.  Isle of Shoals looked like all those pictures you see of Maine.  There is a large retreat center on one of the islands that allowed me to bring my dingy to their docks to explore the island as well as their facilities.  They had the best ice cream in the snack shop.  About three days and I was off for Portland, ME and Casco Bay where it resides.  Had a Pilot Whale surface right in front of me on the way and a seal popped his head out of the water and watched me pass by shortly after.  About 10 miles off of Cape Elizabeth, ME the fog came in with a vengeance, so I never saw the cape, nor did I see any of the many islands I had to weave through as I made my way up several miles into Casco Bay to where I predetermined to anchor.  With about 200 ft visibility I had a close call with a large fishing trawler that came out of the fog fast and furious.  Adrenalin is good.  Once close to the anchorage, the fog lifted and the beautiful Maine coastline came into view making the 7 hour trip worth it.  Dingied into the town dock and walked up the hill to find this sweet little general store advertising "Fresh Native Ice Cubes" for sale.  I'm definitely in Maine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment