Wednesday, August 22, 2012

But I Won't Tell You About That

So there I was...anchored in Great Salt Pond on Block Island.  I could tell you about watching the guy pull in over 100 good sized fish in one cast of net in Hamburg Cove, but I won't.  Or running into old friends Ralph and Ellen walking the beach on Napatree Point in Watch Hill, but I won't.   Or getting to see Rick and Mary in Block Island, a couple I've known for many years that sailed their 37 foot sailboat around the world in five years.  There are many stories there but I won't tell you about that.  There were camels and kangaroos that I ran into by accident while hiking around the island, and nature trails that took you to the edge of cliffs overlooking an endless ocean but I really don't want to tell you about that.  There were sunsets that would take your breath away and seemed to never want to end.  Or walks on the beach with Kim in the evening where the sand, the surf and breeze conspired together to produce the perfect moment, but that's not what I want to tell you about.  I want to tell you about two twelve year old boys that I watched from the cockpit of my boat yesterday afternoon.  They were in this old beat-up little boat that was barely staying afloat with the weight of the two of them in it.  They paddled it out to where my boat was anchored with two old boards that they probably picked up off the beach.  When they got out far enough they lowered a big rock tied to a line over the side as an anchor.  Then two sticks with line and bait were used as fishing poles.  I watched these two for quite some time as they talked and laughed and maneuvered to keep themselves on top of the water and not under it.  As far as I could tell they never caught a thing but I couldn't help but wonder when they reach my age if they won't look back at this moment as one of the best.  No matter where these two friends end up in life they will always have this very simple, very special memory.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this little break from reality in libraryland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that last bit is so sweet. Just living life. :)

    And I WANT TO SEE A CAMEL.

    ~Ledbetter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know who knew there were camels in block island....hmmm were the camels alive?? ;)

      Delete
  3. Had a wonderful week with you on Block Island, Cap't Swigs. Looking forward to our next adventure together. In the meantime take care of yourself and eat a veggie every now and then. Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete