Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It Still Hurts

So there I was...walking down a street in Mystic CT in search of a good cup of coffee when I noticed a hanging sign on the side of a building advertising an accounting firm with the last name that sent chills up and down my spine.  I had to know, so I walked into this establishment and was met by a lady ready to help.  I said "This may seem like an odd question to you but did a man with the same last name of your business and who was an accountant die a couple years ago in a boating incident?"  She said, "Yes, that was my brother."  And I replied, "I was the one who pulled him from the water and on to my boat that day and was with him when he died."  A pained sob came from inside her and she threw her arms around me and cried and cried. Not a gentle cry but a fermented suffering that had been needing to come out.   When she was able to listen I told her of how my wife and I had heard Matthew calling for help as we motored down the channel after leaving Watch Hill on that 4th of July weekend.  When we got to him he said he was having trouble breathing.  Kim threw him a throw ring with line attached and pulled him to the swim platform ladder.  He looked up and said an exhausted, "Thank you." He grabbed for the ladder and died.  As he floated away Kim swam to him and brought him back to the boat where we attempted to get him aboard.  Boaters will tell you that this is not easy.  The Coast Guard was at least 15 minutes out but with the help of people we flagged down and a tow boat operator who was an EMT we got him in the dingy and started CPR.  It was too late.  
The poor lady would burst into tears several times as I was relaying the story and she kept thanking me for being there for her brother.  They worked together for many years and she misses him every day.  There was a picture of him on the table.  She was so glad I stopped and told me to thank my wife as well.  We hugged, she cried, I left.  God bless this woman.  Give her peace.

2 comments:

  1. Waynester, such a touching and humbling post. Poor family but thankfully this man spent his last moments of life in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God sends you where you need to be. I'm so glad you listen to those gentle promptings of the Holy Spirit. I will pray for her as well and we'll talk more soon.

    ReplyDelete