Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mystic Storm

So there I was... sitting in the cockpit in a protected harbor just south of the train bridge in the Mystic River watching the sunset as I like to do most days.  I had picked this spot as I heard strong winds were heading my way and indeed they were already building.  The forcast had called for 50 mph gusts and heavy rains but I had been dug in for two days and felt good as the storm approached.  I felt good until I realized I was slowly moving because the anchor was dragging through the silty soft bottom of the river.  I had problems with this area before but had since increased the size of my anchor thinking I had it figured out.  The winds had now increased to about 30 mph and it was getting dark fast.  Reanchoring a vessel single-handed and in extreme conditions is not easy but I was surprised how I seemed to take it in stride.  I think living out here day in and day out I've sort of grown accustomed to the movements, sounds and situations that used to bother me before.  As the storm howled outside through the night I got up a few times to check on things but otherwise slept well.  I like this life...even the tough parts.  I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned there.
Heading for the north shore of Long Island tomorrow but a meal at the pub in Captain Daniel Packer Inn in Mystic is a must.  Give it a try if you're ever here.  Goodbye Connecticut.

2 comments:

  1. Yea! You're finally heading west! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waynester, Sorry I could not make it out to you this time around. This turning 30 business took too much time. Be safe and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete