Thursday, September 13, 2012

Newport Is Crazy Busy

So there I was...catching a little breakfast at the Seamen's Church Institute, an icon in Newport, originally started in 1919 to serve those who worked and traveled the sea.  It is a place where cruisers, like myself, can get an inexpensive breakfast, take a hot shower, wash your clothes and spend some quality time in its library and chapel.  I was sitting across from this couple and eventually we were telling our tales to each other.  Seems Scott and Mary Flanders have lived on their 46' Nordhavn trawler since 2006, one of the most seaworthy trawlers built and had taken her around the world and then some.  They write articles for a prominent boating magazine called Passagemaker and are well known in the cruising community.  A wealth of information and I got to pick their brain and enjoy their company for an hour.  What an amazing couple, what an amazing life.
Dove on a friends boat yesterday to clean the growth, mussels, sea squirts and barnicles off of his running gear (that's the shaft and propeller for my non-nautical friends) .  Took awhile as it had gotten to garden proportions.  When I got out of the water these little critters that look like miniature walking sticks with, I think, six legs and pinchers were all over me and holding on for dear life.  I had obviously destroyed their habitat and now they wanted to come home with me.  A long shower and much scrubbing  convinced them otherwise.
An early morning jaunt on Newport's historic Cliff Walk was a must.  This 3.5 mile trail has the crashing sea, some 70 ft below, on one side of you and the sprawling estates of several mansions on the other.  One of my favorite is aptly named The Breakers and was built by the Vanderbilts as a summer home in 1895.  This is a must see if you find yourself here some day.
The Newport Boat Show, a great in water show, started today with million dollar boats by the dozens that you can board and explore.  Great fun.  Always busy in this harbor.  Starting to feel the need for a quieter place.  I'm pulling anchor in a couple days.  See you at the next stop.

2 comments:

  1. Lot's of interesting info here. Come to my place, it is very quiet. See you soon. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all is going well with you Wayne! miss you...TTYL : )

    ReplyDelete