Thursday, September 6, 2012

Was That What Was Nibbling My Toes?

So there I was...sitting in the cockpit of Eventide watching the guy on the boat anchored right behind me in Block Island pulling in a fish that was giving him quite a fight.  As he brought the 3 foot Sand Shark to the surface the water exploded as the shark was none too happy.  What was this shark doing in Great Salt Pond?  Locals said that was unusual.  The day before I had been swimming around the boat and felt a movement against my leg thinking it was probably seaweed.  Still think it probably was seaweed but I would have loved to see the shark swimming that close up.
The last night on the island I walked the beach watching several groups digging holes in the sand and making large fires in them to have clam bakes, grill burgers and fish, etc.  They would all be standing around the fires with their wine and beer thoroughly enjoying each others company and this extrordinary atmosphere.  There are not many beaches you can do this on with the blessing of local government.
The next day I was off to Newport with beam seas from 4-6 ft that tossed me all over the place for three hours.  Wilson was rolling all over the cabin, he looked pretty shook up.  Anchored, then drinks and catching up with my old friend, Garret, who has lived on his boat for many years in Newport and has promised to help me with my salt water fishing so I can eat.  Lots of activity here.  I'll fill you in next time.

2 comments:

  1. And to think I was swimming off the boat in Great Salt Pond a couple weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete