Thursday, May 16, 2013

Black Sunday (Part 2)

So there I was...thinking the next big wave was going to turtle the boat, turn it upside-down, as my mind was scrambling for a solution.  Normally a sailboat would try to right itself with the sheer weight of the 2,000 lb. iron keel attached to its underside but in this case the 42 mph wind was pushing the sail to the water.  We couldn't release the line attached to the sail because it jammed in the block (roller) when everything unfurled with such speed and fury.  The only answer was to cut the line but my knife was in the closed cabin.  I yelled for Kim to climb sideways into the cabin, since she was closer, and hand the knife out to me.  Being the she-cheetah that she is, it was in my hands in seconds.  I cut the line (always keep your knives sharp) with one quick move and the sail and line were soon flapping like a sheet on a clothesline in front of the boat releasing all of the wind it had captured.  The boat popped right-side-up and though we were still getting hit with the waves it was now controlled mayhem.  I went forward and rolled the sail around the furler by hand leaving only a 4'x4' section of sail exposed,  immediately giving us control of Crosswinds once again.  Kim returned to her place in the cockpit hanging on white knuckled and looking forward and me to the helm.  A short while later I saw what looked like a one gallon milk jug that someone must have lost off their boat but as we sailed quickly up along side it the milk jug looked up at me.  It was the head of a leatherback turtle and it's shell had to be 4' across, it was huge.  I yelled for Kim to look causing her to almost jump out of her skin being so intent on staying alive at the moment.  I guess wildlife sightings weren't on her priority list.  As we entered the Watch Hill gate buoys, a coast guard cutter came speeding toward us, probably called by a passing freighter that watched our knock-down earlier and expected our boat to go down.  We waved them off as the seas settled quite a bit once we entered Fishers Island Sound.  The wind and rain were still going nuts when we arrived at our mooring and attaching to it ended up in a bent boathook and more drama.  Once we were tied and secure Kim fell down on the deck and started crying.  She had held it together through it all but now was the time to let it all out...and she did.  The amazing part is she still wants to be on the boat...with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment