Thursday, May 30, 2013

Honda to Honda

So there I was...talking to my neighbor last night about a Honda generator I own and we got talking about the other Honda products I've had.   I proceeded to tell him about riding my Honda Goldwing motorcycle home from work on a very hot evening one summer at about 9pm.  After stopping at Home Depot, to buy yet another necessity for the house, I just couldn't get myself to put my helmet back on with it being as hot as it was.  As I drove through the dark on Rt 2 in Glastonbury, CT I remember liking the fact that there were so few cars on this stretch of highway giving me the road all to myself.  The deer must have been thinking the same thing as he leaped in front of my bike that was traveling 65 mph.  I had only enough time to brace for the impact as the animal slammed against the fairing and flipped over and slightly to the side of me.  By the grace of God and some angels holding on tight the bike stayed up and I throttled down pulling over to the side of the highway with my head still intact.  I looked back for the deer but there were no lights in this area leaving me to wonder if it survived.  After looking at the cracked fairing and other damage done to my bike I expressed my opinion about what I thought its fate should be.  Though I'd had many close calls over a lifetime of biking this one seemed to rob me of the sense of freedom I'd always felt when riding now having to be overly vigilant for the next foraging furry jaywalker.  Hence, I sold the Goldwing and bought a Honda snowblower just before one of the snowiest winters in Connecticut.  It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment