Thursday, May 23, 2013

Unpredictable

So there I was...hunkered down in the cabin of my sailboat as Kim did battle with a  swarm of bees.  Things out on the water can be unpredictable at times.  Case in point.  Several years ago we were sailing about 5 miles off the coast of Rhode Island on a hazy day.  Poor visibility limited our view to about a mile giving the impression that we were all alone on this big ocean.  That is when we were invaded by butterflies, probably a hundred or more.  They came out of nowhere and were landing all over the boat.  It wasn't but a minute later that hundreds of flies showed up and started taking up residence along side the butterflies.  Feeling like we were in the middle of a biblical plague Kim and I were pondering this surreal moment when the bees arrived. So many bees.  Problem is that if I get stung by even one of these pollen toting winged wonders, I could die.  Amplify that dilemma with the time it would take me to get to a hospital from 5 miles offshore and the prudent move for me was to dive into the cabin and shut the doors after handing Kim the flyswatter.  Eventually she cleared the deck of all the uninvited guests and it was safe for the captain to show his face again.  She now holds it over me that she saved my life that day.  There must have been a stream of wind that collected all these critters off the shore and let them go miles out to sea.  Confused and disoriented they spy the only place to land, our boat.  Lucky us.

No comments:

Post a Comment